IBPS common written examination, officers rank general awareness solved question paper 2012 pdf download. It will be important for upcoming Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, IBPS, SBI and others government competitive exams. You can download this question paper in pdf format. IBPS is conducting online examination in every year. Candidates who are going to participate in IBPS exams they want to download previous year IBPS exams solved paper. Given below is IBPS General Awareness paper of 2012 examination. You can also download other IBPS exams previous year paper and study material for IBPS preparation.
IBPS Previous Exam General Awareness Solved Paper:
1.Who among the following is one of the recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize – 2011 ?
(A) Ellen Johnson Sirleaf (B) Jules A. Hoffmann (C) Brude A. Beutler
(D) Adam G. Riess (E) Tomas Transtromer (Answer : A)
2. The Food Security Bill-2011 which is in the process of becoming an Act, divides the entire population of the country into two groups. Which of the following are these two groups ?
(A) Below poverty line and above poverty line
(B) General population and excluded population
(C) Included households and excluded households
(D) Covered under PDS and not covered under PDS
(E) General households and priority households (Answer : E)
3. RBI has recently deregulated the rates of interest to be provided by various Banks to their depositors/ customers with effect from 25-10-2011 on their accounts.
(A) Time deposit (B) Saving bank (C) Loan
(D) Fixed deposit (E) Current (Answer : B)
4. Which of the following is the main advantage of “ASBA” with the applicants for share allotment ?
(A) ASBA applicant has got secured allotment of shares
(B) ASBA applicant has got certain preference in allotment of shares as compared to general applicants
(C) ASBA applicant need not remit the fund for allotment of shares, he/she will do so after shares are allotted to him/her
(D) ASBA applicants deposit/OD account is not debited, only the funds are blocked for the same and he/she continues to avail interest till the shares are allotted to him/her
(E) None of these (Answer : D)
5. “Many people die in Deadly Games in Egypt” –was the news in almost all major newspapers in February 2012.
Which of the following statements is the correct representation of ‘Deadly Game’ given in the headlines ?
(A) A riot broke out during a Football Match in Egypt in which many people were killed
(B) Police had to open fire on a mob including some genuine ticket holders, who were not allowed to enter the stadium even after the start of the match
(C) Egypt is famous for its dangerous games of ‘Bull fight’ and ‘Martial Game’. Many participants die every year in such games
(D) Some terrorists opened fire during a football match. About 1,000 people were killed in the incident
(E) The defeat in the game is considered equivalent to death (Answer : A)
6. Mullaperiyar Dam, which was recently in news, is located in which of the following States?
(A) Maharashtra (B) Karnataka (C) Andhra Pradesh
(D) Kerala (E) Tamil Nadu (Answer : D)
7. Like telephone/Mobile number portability, the Ministry of Finance/RBI is now also considering to provide bank account number portability to bank customers. Which of the following would it mean?
(A) Any customer/account holder can withdraw cash from any other Bank through his/her own cheques drawn on other bank even without ATM
(B) Any borrower can draw funds from his/her loan account’ from any other bank also
(C) The account number of any account holder will remain the same even if he/she is getting his/ her account transferred to another bank also
(D) Bank customers would have the facility of mobile Banks to with- draw cash nearby his/her place
(E) None of these (Answer : C)
8. The total number of Kisan Credit Card holder farmers in our country is–
(A) 8 Crores (B) 10 Crores (C) 5 Crores
(D) 7.5 Crores (E) 6 Crores (Answer : B)
9. NRE deposit is–
(A) Non Resident External deposit (B) Non Resident Extra deposit
(C) Non Resident Exchange deposit (D) Non Refundable External deposit
(E) Non Resident Extended deposit (Answer : A)
10. What is offshore banking ?
(A) It is a bank located in the sea (i.e. island).
(B) It is a bank located in SEZ.
(C) It is a bank located in a neighbouring country.
(D) It is a bank located outside the country of residence of the depositor.
(E) Offshore banking is basically dealing in foreign exchange. (Answer : D)
11. Maoists in which of the following countries recently decided to accept Govt’s offer of ‘Golden Handshake’ fund enter into ‘civilian life’ or mainstream of the society ?
(A) Myanmar (B) India (C) China
(D) Nepal (E) Bhutan (Answer : D)
12. Which of the following is correct?
(A) Illiterates cannot open any account in a bank
(B) Illiterate women cannot open any account in a bank
(C) Illiterates can open savings bank accounts in a bank
(D) Advance can be granted to a minor
(E) Advance can be granted to a minor if he is of sound mind (Answer : C)
13. As per newspaper reports western countries are going to impose sanctions on which of the following OPEC countries as it is said that it is trying to make a nuclear bomb ?
(A) Kuwait (B) Iraq (C) Iran
(D) Saudi Arabia (E) Angola (Answer : C)
14. ”The Reliance Industries Ltd. has decided to return some ‘KG’ fields to the Government of India” -was the news in some major newspapers. What is the major production in KG fields owned by RIL ?
(A) Crude oil (B) Gas (C) Coal
(D) Iron ore (E) Gold ore and Diamonds (Answer : B)
15. Non-convertible debentures are–
(A) Debt instruments which acquire equity status at the issuers’ option.
(B) Debt instruments which acquire equity status at the investors’ option.
(C) Debt instruments which acquire equity status with the permission of Registrar of Companies.
(D) Debt instruments which acquire equity status on maturity.
(E) Debt instruments which retain their debt character and cannot acquire equity status. (Answer : E)
16. India’s Dipika Pallikal and Sarah Cardwell of Australia recently played an international match in Chennai. Both of them are–
(A) Badminton players (B) Golf players (C) Chess players
(D) Squash players (E) Table Tennis players (Answer : D)
17. “IRDA ‘norms will boost online distribution” -was the news in some major newspapers. This means online distribution of which of the following will boost up ?
(A) Bank products (B) Insurance policies/products
(C) Licenses to open new banks/ branches of existing banks
(D) Licenses to operate 2G / 3G spectrums
(E) Permits for export of iron ore (Answer : B)
18. ‘Lajja’ is a book written by–
(A) Salman Rushdie (B) Taslima Nasreen (C) Sunil Ganguli
(D) Rabindranath Tagore (E) Bimal Mitra (Answer : B)
19. To prevent frauds in multiple mortgage cases, under SARFAESI Act, 2002 one special thing has been created and made operative from 01. 04. 2011. Which one is that from the following?
(A) Special Registrar Office at Lucknow
(B) Special Central Arbitration Bureau at Lucknow
(C) Central SARFAESI Tribunals at Six Centres
(D) Central Electronic Registry
(E) State Electronic Registries (Answer : D)
20. SBI has merged which of the following two associate banks with itself?
(A) State Bank of Hyderabad and State Bank of Patiala
(B) State Bank of Hyderabad and State Bank of Travancore
(C) State Bank of Mysore and State Bank of Travancore
(D) State Bank of Indore and State Bank of Hyderabad
(E) State Bank of Indore and State Bank of Saurashtra (Answer : E)
21. Assembly elections took place in which one of the following States recently? (in January 2012)
(A) Madhya Pradesh (B) Maharashtra (C) Kerala
(D) Punjab (E) Tamil nadu (Answer : D)
22. Which one of the following is not a salient feature of Debit Card?
(A) No bad debts to banks and no suits for recovery
(B) 0 interest earning for banks
(C) Works like a normal withdrawal
(D) Can be used at ATM and POS
(E) 45 days credit is given to the card holder (Answer : E)
23. Banks issue a letter to beneficiary on behalf of its constituents like guarantee for making payment on their behalf on fulfillment of its terms and conditions. What is this arrangement known in banking context ?
(A) Line of Credit (B) Loan to Client (C) Loan on Credit
(D) Loan against Credit (E) Letter of Credit (Answer : E)
24. As per Financial Inclusion drive one of the following Banks introduced Tilly Cards with Biometric identification. Which of the following is that Bank?
(A) Central Bank of India (B) Oriental Bank of Commerce (C) Indian Bank
(D) State Bank of India (E) Bank of Maharashtra (Answer : D)
25. World leaders are to assemble in Rio de Janeiro in June 2012 for the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20). All nations are going to make some commitment towards the goal of the conference. As per the agenda circulated, what commitment do world leaders want from India in the Conference ?
(A) India should agree to double its energy efficiency under a global understanding
(B) India should suspend its nuclear pact with USA or at least should reduce it to 50% level of agreed capacity
(C) Nuclear power plants are highly risky as seen in Japan recently. Hence, no new plant should be made
(D) India has a vast resource of coal. It must share its coal resources with other countries to enable them to produce thermal power which they are not doing so far due to lack of coal mines there
(E) None of these (Answer : C)
26. Who among the following is the recipient of the Padma Vibhushan given in 2012 ?
(A) Late (Dr.) Bhupen Hazarika (B) Sri Vanraj Bhatia (C) Sri Javed Akhtar
(D) Sri Amitabh Bachchan (E) Smt. Ambika Soni (Answer : A)
27. Under the liberialised scheme of interest subsidy, Govt. of India provides interest subsidy on housing loan at the rate of–
(A) 0. 50% (B) 1. 00% (C) 2. 00%
(D) 2. 00% + 1. 00% for prompt repayment (E) None of these (Answer : B)
28. When a Bank provides a loan for purchase of white goods, it is categorised as–
(A) Consumption loan (B) White Goods loan (C) Consumer Durable loan
(D) Working Capital (E) Bridge loan (Answer : D)
29. India has decided to acquire Rafale Fighter planes for its airforce wing. Which country is going to supply Rafale fighter planes ?
(A) Italy (B) Britain (C) Canada
(D) France (E) Germany(Answer : D)
30. Which of the following statements about contribution (approximately) of agriculture sector in GDP is correct?
(A) Agriculture contributes 50% of total GDP
(B) Agriculture does not contribute significantly to India’s GDP as the share is less than 1 %
(C) India’s GDP does not take agricultural sector into account
(D) Agricultural Sector is the part of Service Sector. Hence, it is not considered as an independent sector
(E) Agricultural Sector contributes 20% in India’s GDP (Answer : E)
31. Banks are considered as ‘financial intermediaries’. Which of the following activity correctly and comprehensively explains this role of banks ?
(A) Accepting deposits of money for the purpose of lending and investment
(B) Granting loans to the weaker sections of the society
(C) Accepting money for remittance and issuing bank drafts
(D) Providing safe deposit services
(E) Opening accounts and accepting deposits therein (Answer : A)
32. The rate below which banks cannot generally lend is called as–
(A) Base rate (B) Floor rate (C) Repo rate
(D) Call money rate (E) Ceiling rate (Answer : A)
33. As per the data released by the Union Health Ministry (of India) the infant mortality rate is lowest in–
(A) Tamil Nadu (B) Maharashtra (C) Goa
(D) Uttar Pradesh (E) Madhya Pradesh (Answer : C)
34. Dada Saheb Phalke Awards are given by the Ministry of–
(A) Social Welfare (B) Corporate Affairs (C) Home Affairs
(D) Human Resource Development (E) Information and Broadcasting (Answer : E)
35. Which of the following is not a type of Cheque ?
(A) Crossed cheque (B) Blank cheque (C) Speed cheque
(D) Bearer cheque (E) Order cheque (Answer : C)
36. Mr. John Key is the present–
(A) Prime Minister of Canada (B) Prime Minister of Australia
(C) Prime Minister of New Zealand (D) President of Australia
(E) President of Canada (Answer : C)
37. In relation to banking, what do you’ understand by “Ever-Greening of Loan Account” ?
(A) Full repayment of a loan account before maturity-Pre-payment
(B) Full repayment of a loan account exactly at maturity
(C) Fresh loan sanctioned during the tenure of account for enhancement of limits
(D) Adjusting the NPA/Sticky account with fresh sanction of loans
(E) Loans provided for new projects to new customers
(Answer : D)
38. Which of the following is the name of an autonomous organisation for rural technology ?
(A) CAPART (B) MGNREGA (C) PURA
(D) IRDP (E) NGAPS (Answer : A)
39. With a view to facilitate payment of balance in deposit account of the person named by the depositor without any hassles in the event of death of the account holder, the following facility was introduced in bank accounts in our country.
(A) Will (B) Registration (C) Nomination
(D) Indemnity (E) Guarantee (Answer : C)
40. Which of the following countries is not a member of ASEAN ?
(A) Thailand (B) Myanmar (C) Singapore
(D) Vietnam (E) Brazil (Answer : E)
41. Which of the following is not a Negotiable Instrument?
(A) Cheque (B) Fixed Deposit Receipt (C) Promissory Note
(D) Bill of Exchange (E) All (A) to (D) above are negotiable instruments (Answer : B)
42. Which of the following Stock Exchanges in India recently launched “Carbon Index” so that investors can assess risk and opportunities associated with climate change?
(A) Delhi Stock Exchange (B) National Stock Exchange
(C) Bombay Stock Exchange (D) Kolkata Stock Exchange
(E) Ahmedabad Stock Exchange (Answer : C)
43. Which of the following would be the venue of the World Athletic Championship 2013 ?
(A) New Delhi (B) Tokyo (C) London
(D) Paris (E) Moscow (Answer : E)
44. Who among the following represented India in 17th SAARC Summit held at Addu in Maldives in November 2011 ?
(A) Smt. Sonia Gandhi (B) Dr. Manmohan Singh
(C) Shri Pranab Mukherjee (D) Shri P. Chidambaram
(E) Shri Rahul Gandhi (Answer : B)
45. What is the maximum balance amount that is eligible for earning interest in a normal savings bank account ?
(A) Rs. 1 lac (B) Rs. 2 lacs (C) Rs. 3 lacs
(D) Rs. 5 lacs (E) No limit (Answer : E)
46. When a customer opens a Deposit account with the Bank, which one of the following is the status of the Bank?
(A) Debtor (B) Creditor (C) Trustee
(D) Beneficiary (E) None of these (Answer : A)
47. Which of the following states decided to give Khatedhari Rights to about 30,000 farmers occupying the custodian lands ?
(A) Gujarat (B) Rajasthan (C) Madhya Pradesh
(D) Uttar Pradesh (E) Uttarakhand (Answer : B)
48. Which of the following functions is not being performed by the Reserve Bank of India ?
(A) Regulation of Banks in India
(B) Regulation of Foreign- Direct Investment in India
(C) Foreign Currency Management in India
(D) Control and Supervision of Money Supply
(E) Currency Management in India (Answer : B)
49. A bank is called as ‘Scheduled Bank’ when–
(A) its business has crossed Rs. 1,000 crore mark.
(B) its branch network is over 100
(C) it is included in the second Schedule of the RBI Act
(D) when it complies with all the three above
(E) None of these (Answer : C)
50. Australian Govt. recently decided to sell Uranium to India. Uranium is used mainly for–
(A) manufacturing of chemical fertilizers. (B) manufacturing of Drugs/Pharma products.
(C) nuclear power generation. (D) making arsenals.
(E) making electronic chips. (Answer : C)